All Christians have this deep desire to please God, act, reflect, speak, and behave in a way that satisfies Him. The Bible encourages us to examine what is pleasing to God (Ephesians 5:10) and offer ourselves as a living and holy sacrifice (Romans 12:1). You understood the idea and understood the metaphor somewhat, but how to put these verses into practise daily?
In what way should one behave to please God?
1. To take Jesus as an example and wonder how He would have reacted in the situations we are facing
“He who says that he dwells in him must also walk as he himself has walked” (1 John 2:6).
2. Put the spiritual and the Spirit before the flesh and everything else
“He who sows for his flesh will reap corruption from the flesh, but he who sows for the Spirit will reap eternal life from the Spirit” (Galatians 6:8).
3. To manifest the fruit of the Spirit, which is love, joy, peace, a patient mind, goodness, benevolence, fidelity, gentleness and temperance
“to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord and to be wholly pleasing to him, bearing fruit in all kinds of good works and growing by the knowledge of God” (Colossians 1:10).
4. Obey his parents and respect the authorities
“Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is pleasing in the Lord” (Colossians 3:20).
5. Seek to progress and improve daily
“Besides, brothers, since you have learned from us how you should conduct yourself and please God, and this is what you are doing, we pray, and we beseech you in the name of the Lord Jesus to walk in this regard from progress to progress” (1 Thessalonians 4:1).
6. Act without worrying about people’s gaze
“And now, is it the favour of men that I desire, or that of God? Am I trying to please men? If I still pleased men, I would not be a servant of Christ” (Galatians 1:10).
7. Remain humble and submissive to God
“If you had wanted sacrifices, I would have offered them to you, but you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices that are pleasing to God are a broken spirit: O God! you do not disdain a broken and contrite heart” (Psalms 51:16-17).
8. Watch over your heart to keep it pure
“Those who have a wicked heart are an abomination to the LORD, but those whose way is perfect are pleasing to him” (Proverbs 11:20).
9. Walk-in truth, be sincere, frank and honest
“False lips abhor the LORD, but those who act with truth are pleasing to him” (Proverbs 12:22).
10. Have strong faith
“But without faith, it is impossible to please him; for he who approaches God must believe that God exists and that he is the reward of those who seek him” (Hebrews 11:6).
11. Be generous, selfless and caring for people in need
“And do not forget benevolence and liberality, for it is in such sacrifices that God takes pleasure” (Hebrews 13:16).
12. Obey God and His commandments
“Those who say to me: Lord, Lord! not all will enter into the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven” (Matthew 7:21)
13. To manifest love and forgiveness
“Be kind to one another, compassionate, forgiving one another, as God forgave you in Christ” (Ephesians 4:32).